We just returned from a trip back to the States. We spend two weeks in Minnesota sandwiched around a weekend in Iowa, then a week in San Francisco split between staying in the Union Square area, Nob Hill, and San Carlos down the peninsula.
In Minnesota, we went to some of our favorite places and some new places that have opened since we left. In San Francisco, I was too tired to really hunt for good food, so we ate what was convenient and/or recommended by our friends, but it was all tasty in the end.
In Minnesota and Iowa:
- Chipotle (twice) – I’m very excited about their new vegan sofritas tofu
- Caribou Coffee – Giantest of giant American coffees
- United Noodle’s Unideli for ramen (just Pretty Pie)
- Yangtze Restaurant for dim sum
- Wise Acre Eatery
- Mandarin Kitchen in Bloomington, MN not for dim sum (just Pretty Pie)
- Zen Box Izakaya
- Milkjam Creamery (thrice) – on a mission to try all of them, though we didn’t make it
- Brugger’s Bagels
- Willy McCoy’s (just Pretty Boy)
- Fairbault A&W – I’m pretty sure we went back in time (Mojo Monster’s choice)
- Main Street Market
- Bushel & A Peck Market
- Ramen Kazama
- Joy’s Pattaya Thai Restaurant
- Patrick’s Bakery & Cafe
- Yoyo Donuts
- Wok in the Park – Mojo Monster’s choice
- Giordano’s (just Pretty Boy)
- Beacon Public House at the Common’s Hotel (just Pretty Pie)
- Annie’s Parlour
- Potter’s Pasties
In San Francisco:
- iCafe San Francisco, Chinatown – Because Hong Kong-style milk tea (nai cha) is different from bubble tea-style milk tea!
- Boudin Bakery – the Market Street Bakery & Cafe location
- Samovar Tea Lounge – Yerba Buena Gardens location. I would have gone back to this place for all my remaining meals! I loved it.
- Loving Hut – San Fransicso Westfield location (just Pretty Pie)
- Norman’s Ice Cream and Freezes (just Pretty Boy)
- Laurel Court, The Fairmont
- Utopia Cafe Hong Kong Cuisine
- Warming Hut Parkstore & Cafe
- Murata’s Cafe Hana
- Tar-y-Tara Tea & Polo Shoppe
- HS Cafe, Millbrae
- El Metate Taqueria, San Carlos
I think that’s everything. It was a crazy trip. I’m exhausted and happy to be back in Canberra. For not particularly focusing much on food, I’d say we had a pretty killer food trip. AND to finish the trip off perfectly, my Asian vegetarian meals on our United flight from SFO to SYD were excellent (much better than the Asian vegetarian meals I got on our outbound flight from SYD to SFO, weird).